Friday, March 28, 2014

Gallery Visit

On a recent trip to Spokane, WA, I visited an art museum at the Gonzaga University campus called the Jundt Gallery. As I am currently working on a project that entails a commercial gallery space, it was very helpful for me to walk through this space and gain insight. I have always noticed in galleries that for the most part the walls are colored white, however in the Jundt the walls were clearly an off-white and closer to beige. This affected the individual pieces on display quite differently, there was less contrast between the walls and artwork, however it was much easier on the eyes for me as a viewer. Many of the displays were movable on an overhead track system, which is convenient to fit the needs of different exhibits. Benches and seating areas did exist in certain parts of the gallery, which is a convenience for people who wish to take a break from standing and viewing the art. Overall it was very helpful to take notes and observe all of these different aspects, and I hope in the future to be able to visit many more unique spaces.

No comments:

Post a Comment